Saturday, December 27, 2003

Resolutions?



I've been thinking and thinking and thinking of what I could possibly resolve to do in 2004.

I've thought of several things, all of which include giving something up. I want to resolve to do somthing that doesn't require me to give up anything in particular, while still allowing me to become a better person. I've never prescribed to that school of thought that deprevation actually makes a person stronger. Thats nonsense.

One of my thoughts was to be more like my comic hero Andy Rooney. Maybe cranky, opinionated, and could use a good eyebrow shaping, but nevertheless funny as hell. While I was thinking about this, it made me realize that old people can say or do anything, and the rest of the world laughs at them, or deals with it. I seriously mean they can get away with anything.

At the OCJ, I worked with an individual who called black people Africa-Americans, and on occasion used some other less appropriate, dated, and often non PC terms. This person was old. The good people in the office chalked it off to his age. Had anyone else done this, that would have been an appointment in HR to kiss your job goodbye.

At our library, I know I let old people do what ever they want. Sure they've gotten to a point where they deserve respect for having survived for so long, but whatever happened to that argument our parents gave us when we were the older sibling "Oh, I expected more from you being the oldest..." or the classic "You're old enough to know better..."? How old do we get before you can't say that anymore?

Several examples of what I let old people get away with:

1) talking at exceptionally loud levels
2) carry on lenghthy conversations with me on the floor, where I'm supposed to be working

I also don't wake them up when I see them sleeping at the library. What makes them so special? And why do I shut down and let it all happen? Because like the rest of the world, I have a soft spot. One that goes deeper than the puppy/kitten "AWWWW" reflex. But still, I want to get away with all this!

I've been accused mutiple times of acting like an "old lady", or dressing "like an old man" (p.s. its called vintage fashion), and as for my mind set- I've been reminded multiple times that it is no longer 1945...so really, this New Years resolution is very practical on my part. Perhaps I could have chosen a better idol, but then again, who else would have said " My grandmother has a bumper sticker on her car that says, 'Sexy Senior Citizen.' You don't want to think of your grandmother that way, do you? Out entering wet shawl contests. Makes you wonder where she got that dollar she gave you for your birthday. " Now thats priceless.

Having a role model who is a successful TV peronsality, writer, and geriatric seems fitting for me. To resolve to be more like this role model, even more fitting.

The moral of this post: Resolutions don't have to be about giving something up. Go ahead and eat that chocolate bar. If you aren't happy in the new year, you're going to do a lot worse than eat the chocolate bar. Resolutions can be about adding something to your life. I resolve to laugh more next year, whatever that entails.

Happy New Year to all of you fabulous readers.



No comments: