Monday, March 22, 2004

High Strung



Mid-terms are here again. Finally my world as a library grad student has ganged up on me...much to my dismay. In a frank conversation with my advisor I told her that I was worried that perhaps cataloguing wasn't going to be my cup of tea, and that maybe I should just become a reference librarian (no offense reference department! its not a second best to cataloguing...) She informed me that I was one of the most nervous people she'd ever met, and that I needed to relax.

She went on to tell me that reference is even more stressful, and that the public doesn't need to see a stressed librarian. Besides, she reminded me, if I already knew how to catalogue, would I be in her class? Good point...but I hate not being the best.

Maybe I should be a cataloguer. Then at least I can shut my office door and cry. I'm just flustered because I want to be good at cataloguing, but I'm letting my A type personality get in the way. Let AARC2 do the work for me, and MARC, and LCSH. It's hard giving up control to inanimate objects.

On the flip side of all of this, I will graduate in one year. I have 18 more credits to take, basically 9 more a semester ...9 in the fall, 9 in the spring. Then *poof* I'm a librarian. I do tend to keep that focus, which is good. Lately, I can't seem to focus on anything. I'm going to cry if I don't figure out how to use Pivot tables in Excel soon.

And another positive note, my blog has had almost 10,000 hits since going live last fall. I'm kind of impressed that people like to see what is going on in my world. Speaking of which, my tape is all submitted to the Today show, along with my essay. I doubt anything will come of it, but I am glad I sent it in. I haven't seen any of the other clips, have you? I'd love to know what other people submitted.

I am going to work on my"research for decision making" class homework now. This may be one of the most time consuming projects I've ever worked on. Its a statistical analysis of ALL city, county, and non-profit libraries in the state of TEXAS. Couldn't I have gotten a state like, Rhode Island, or North Dakota?

As Evita said, "Don't cry for me"...well, Madonna said that, and while not as effectively delivered from a laptop generated blog as it is from a balcony...its true. I'll bounce back. After all, I have to be a librarian!

Moral of this blog: As long as I'm part of the string family, I want to be a Stradivarius.

No comments: