Sunday, May 02, 2004

Ice Prince



Inspired by MLC, I have decided to compile a list of things that I should not do while I am at the library:

1. Raising my eyebrows when women wearing belly shirts come in.

2. Smiling coyly at female co-eds from the nearby major university. They just don't know.

3. Speaking with facial expressions when maloderous patrons come in.

4. Wearing french cuffs to work. The library turns them black.

5. Pretending I don't notice unattended children.

6. Tucking my shirt in while I am on the floor. It looks like I'm trying to, well, "go for it" in public.

7. Jotting ideas down for my blog, and shoving them in my very visable mail box.

8. Using Yiddish slang that no one understands, except me.

9. Mentioning multiple times during one shift that I only earn $7.40 an hour.

10. Trying to apply OCJ corporate ideologies to my public library job.

Nothing is life threatening, nothing that will give birth to my dismissal. I laugh a lot at work, and at inside jokes. Problem being: they are so "inside" that only I get them. I have applied for a customer service postion that will pay more, and I am hoping to secure that by the end of this month. That would be more fun, and I'll have deeper exposure to patrons who actually check books and videos out, rather than the ones who just sleep in the library, or pee all over the bathroom.

I think that people think I am an Ice Prince. I don't try to be snobby, it just happens sometimes. Never to the patrons. If I mention in passing that when I was little that I had a Nanny, its not to be mean-its just remembering better times. If I happen to mention that I didn't get my drivers license until I was 20, its not to rub in the fact I was driven everywhere, and not to point out my naivity to manual labor. If I happen to mention I purchased a leather sofa or new service of china for 8...its not to illustrate the fact I've never had to budget before...its to make people want to visit my little house. See? Erase that bitchy image of me right now. I'm as sweet as toffee pudding.

OK, its true. I led a life of leisure before I moved to Columbus. I am learning how to make it, budgeting and really rolling up my sleeves to bring home a paycheque. But I love it. I'm really good at what I do, and I'm glad I chose this field to express myself with. Besides, who would read the "Well dressed garbage man?" or the "Well dressed Asst. Dry Cleaner Manager?" People love well dressed librarians, and we do come with some baggage.

Moral of this blog: She works hard for the money, so hard for it honey, and you better treat her right. I do, I am so for real.

No comments: