Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Oh, the Humanities



This is pretty much how I am feeling right now, and I will confess that much of it is my fault.

I thought it would be brilliant to get as much out of the way as I could. So I enrolled in 3 classes, and embarked on my practicum. How quickly I came to my senses after "sampling" each of the classes. After the first week, I decided that I was going to drop a class. I chose to drop "humanities reference".

It is amazing the internal process which I went through. I really gave myself a good beating up. I felt like I was letting myself down by not living up to this challenge. I would counter with sage advice given to me by my own Mother..."if a rose bush is sick, you'd cut away the bad to avoid letting the rest suffer." OK, perhaps a bit out of context, but very much the same thing.

Should I take a class that would make the rest of my work suffer? Of course not. Additionally, I'd already taken one reference class that filled that particular educational requirement. Relief, yes? No of course not, because I continued to bully myself.

My schedule was boiling out to 13 hours of practicum a week, 9 hours of classes, 20 hours of my part time job at the library, and then homework. This doesn't include doing laundry, tidying the house, going grocery shopping or anything else that would constitute normal life. Too much for this one here. I can rest comfortably now, and that is the story I will stick with. I have to. I can't afford a bleeding ulcer now. I'm prone to those you know...starting with my first one in the Fourth grade. I haven't had an episode since my sophomore year of college.

Now, I am going to my preservation management class. It is raining, and my dear has our car today. I will be forced to walk through the rain, because I have a fear of buses. Sort of a public bathroom, water fountain fear. I do look rather dapper with a black stick umbrella however.

Moral of this blog: Delicate is as delicate does.

No comments: