Sunday, October 03, 2004

ORDER UP!



One may ask what a well dressed librarian does in his down time. I have dinner parties. Last night I broke all records for myself, and hosted a sit down dinner for 35 people. It was actually a welcome to the department dinner for my boyfriends ENTIRE grad department..1st through 3rd year grad students.

Up until this point, I had capped at 18 for my largest dinner party...which was actually a Thanksgiving dinner, and as my Mother reminds me, Thanksgiving IS NOT a dinner party. I digress. Despite the fact that I had to serve people on 4 different sets of china..I think things went well. Thank G-d I had enough matching wine glasses. I felt like a terrible host serving off all those paterns at once, but people seemed to be more astounded that they were eating off china than anything else.

Another fun part was commandeering my neighbors kitchen. I need another stove top, and more counter space. Townhouses are great, but galley kitchens do have thier drawbacks. Running back and forth between them wearing my perma-wrinkled Soho find button down, with a pair of gray slacks. Over them, my red-logo apron given to me by Jet magazine...ahhh, the corporate days back in Chicago.

The menu:
*brie, havarti, wisconsin black wax cheddar, seedless grapes (red and green), 5 types of crackers.
*cantaloupe, strawberries, pineapple, bosc pear, and berries
Enough wine to drown a couple of horses
DINNER:
Pesto served over wheat penne
Turkey Linguine
Terragon Eggplant and Tomatoe served over cappelini
Tossed baby greens and sun dried tomatoes with balsamic vinagrette and chevre
Roasted Garlic Loaf, 2 Italian Boules, and a loaf of Rosemary Olive oil bread.
DESSERT:
Apple Pie with whipped heavy cream
German Chocolate cake
Chocolate chip cookies
Vanilla Ice cream
Coffee/Tea

There were candles lit, and Benny Goodman playing all night. What a tremendous time. I really hope this helped bring the department one step closer. It was nice to step out of my librarian role for a night.

Moral of this blog: Burn one; take it through the garden and pin a rose on it. ORDER UP!

No comments: