Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Season of Lights

Happy Holidays to all my devoted Jewish fans. Tonight is the second night of Chanukah. Because it is a holiday about the miracle of oil lasting for too long, we get to eat lots of food fried in oil. Doughnuts, Latkas. We also get to eat lots of dairy, thanks to Judith getting the Syrians hammered on cheese and wine. Well, the cheese didn't help get them hammered.

In our house, there are two menorahs. One is lit near a window to let all the nice Christians in the almost square state know that a Jew lives among them. The other is lit on the mantle. Luckily, the holiday will be done in time for my guy to "hang stockings with care" in the same place a bit later.

One of the things I love about this holiday is the shock that people go through when they realize that it is not at the exact same time as Christmas. What were us Jews thinking coming up with our own calendar?

Its also a season for me to wear lots of blue. Today in fact I am wearing a blue cardigan with a blue and bluer Beau Brummel polka dotted tie. I'm glad I don't have to wear Christmas sweaters with glitter and trees on them. Besides, I look miserable in red.

Moral of this blog: NEVER blow out Chanukah candles. Let them burn out!

No comments: