Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Well Dressed Hero

Occasionally, on a Sunday, I work at another branch in our library system. This branch is in a nicer neighborhood, and is much larger. The library attracts a crowd so much different than my own. Rarely does one see a homeless person, it is peopled with very traditional mishpochas (familes) of every race, and most of the patrons are dressed very well. Just leaving church I imagine.

The staff at this branch rotates as well, meaning that I rarely work with the same people on a given Sunday. This time, the staff was made up of a bunch of meshugge shishkas (crazy women)who seemed to be on shpilkes (on edge) all the time. Add one part crazy Jew librarian, and you've got quite a Sunday on your hands.

Towards the end of the evening, there was a satchel left on the floor by the check out machines. Dear, sweet, and quite-lost-to-reality Customer Service lady began to tell me about how much unattended bags and packages made her feel quite nudjedik (antsy, nervous). She then literally went on for 10 minutes about all the bombings that have occured over the past decade, how schools are unsafe, and even through in a tasty bit about being "nervous for Jewish schools now a day".

I looked around and saw two teen age boys standing by a book case.

I asked "Does this book bag belong to either of you?" One nodded. I told him that he needed to schlep (carry)his bag with him, and that he shouldn't leave things about the library.

Dear & Sweet looked at me with damp eyes, and put her hand on my shoulder.

"How brave you are to deal with the teens like that, I don't know how you do it. I was so worried about that bag too...."

I assured her I was only doing my job.

Moral of this blog: Not only am I hot, but I'm brave too.

No comments: