Tuesday, March 01, 2005

...and out like a lamb

large kitty Well, March is officially here. This means that I graduate in just 2 months, 13 days.

When I started this blog, people didn't even know what blogs were. I helped spread the word like a good little librarian. In the meanwhile, blogging took on a fame of its own, creating havoc in some worlds, allowing others to have voices, and then all these "celebrity" bloggers came out. I know, Wonkette has been around a while.

I candidly admit, outside of all my dinner parties and cocktail hours, I would consider myself a loner. Really, if I were to pick up the phone, I'd probably be calling my Mother or Grandmother. Rarely, if ever do I just call someone to chat, I feel like I am wasting their time. The community that I found in blogging is sort of special, because through the magic of hot links, you can instantly read and find out about the people that I consider to be future leaders in our profession, like Nettie Day and Erica Olsen, or librarians who are quiet and don't talk so much about the job, like Jonny Angel. There are other good people who regularly read my blog, and send me emails about whats happening in the field (thanks other Matthew from Virginia). These are the people who I off handedly refer to as "friends" in conversation, despite the fact that I've never met them. The same held true back at the OCJ (old corporate job, for new readers) when I worked on many projects with a guy from FIND SVP ... he sort of became a dear person to me as well...and I only spoke to him on the phone a few times a week.

Don't get me wrong. I've got lots of people who are dear to me. All my back home Chicago peeps. A few dears here in the almost square state. But professionally, I do not find myself surrounding myself with others in the field. Is this odd? My boyfriend always hangs out with other choreographers. My Mother has lots of Social Worker friends. My boyfriends Mother has lots of RN friends. Are librarians like Beta fish? Will we chew one anothers fins off if in close proximity of one another?

With March entering like a Lion, I am even more aware of the sense of solitude. This snow keeps me indoors. I can do most of my homework at home thanks to the miracle of PDF's, online reserve readings, and all the fine and dandy databases that are housed on line for Library students. I'm here a lot. Quite a quiet place to be. It is no wonder I am so house proud...its where I am. Like a shut in. Now I'm just feeling sorry for myself. With all this quiet time, there is nothing to shut out all the thoughts of impending graduation, and what I'm going to do. I wish it were simple. Maybe it is, and I'm just over analytical.

So thanks to all the people I adore. Lets keep library science alive and well on the web. If this is how librarians have to communicate with out devouring one another, I say lets go for it. Where else do you find public, private, academic, and special librarians all in one place....for the fun of it?

moral of this blog: breathe in, breathe out

No comments: