Monday, March 31, 2008

Fans, Former

Weighing my options Removing rather than responding (or accepting) criticism? Not hot.
Former fan | 03.30.08 - 4:55 pm | #


Hmmm. A reader from Bellevue, WA area wrote the above to me. They had left a far more cutting comment, and I deleted it. Why? I didn't know how to respond. Do I owe explanations? Do I want to put myself out there to keep one rather nasty reader on my blog roll?

It is true, my blog is not the same as it used to be. Truth be told, I'm not the same person I used to be 6 months ago.

I'm a blogger, a librarian - I am not a professional writer, used to dealing with criticism.

Now that I have worked in management, and now run my own library - I do get criticism. One rule I have for those who criticize: don't come to the table empty handed. Come with suggestions. If things are happening a certain way - it is more than likely because I am not aware you are unhappy. Tell me what you'd like to see. I'm doing this all by my lonely kids. This is not a corporate sponsored enterprise.

On the other hand, I have to laugh. My blog is titled "The Well Dressed Librarian" -and guess what I post pictures of & write about? The best dressed librarian I know. No where in the fine print did this blog claim to be a mecca of civilization or a cornerstone of our industry. In my first post, I offered to lend a voice to this segment of the market. And so I have. My blog has been picked up and run by the newsletter of no less than 2 ALA accredited Library Grad Schools, I've been mentioned in one scholarly publication, my blog has been used as a training tool in at least one major US public library, and most importantly, my Mother reads my blog.

I am also impressed that someone who wanted "feedback" left a fake e-mail address, and no other way of contacting them - spare posting a response. You got what you wanted Sleepless in Seattle. I hope you are content, and a little wet that I replied.

So, what has changed in my life? Outside of a 9 year relationship ending by surprise, signing my half of my gorgeous house over to my ex, moving 500 miles away to a big city, living alone for the first time in my life, suffering a nervous breakdown, and starting a brand new job - nothing has changed. Nothing at all. Perhaps my blog isn't the most important thing to me. I post here to amuse myself, and it amuses me even more that people actually read what I write.

Is there more to it than that, or am I totally missing something? I am not Aaron Schmidt, Michael Stephens , or Stephen Abram. If you want news and information, check them out. I seriously don't mind losing traffic to these folks. If you want to know what the Well Dressed Librarian is thinking about -then read my blog.

As I've said before, we have never relied on Elsa Klensch to solve the Iraq situation, don't count on me to fix the Libraries of the 21st century. I've never promised I could, all I've done is tell people what I want them to know about librarianship. Almost a quarter of a million hits later, I must be doing something right.

I've mentioned before, customers from the library where I worked in the Almost Square State™ were astounded when they would see me out in the city. I don't live in the library! Don't be one of those people, Bellevue. You should know better.

I bleed when I am cut, and I respond when I'm poked. Especially twice.

Moral of this blog: Anonymous comments with no substance are not hot.

No comments: