Friday, May 02, 2008

Continues, The Search

My Girl, ChanelWell, I hoped, but didn't anticipate the large number of nominations I've already received! And I am pleased to say so far, every single submission (and I hate that word, I feel like a dominatrix)has been amazing. And not one holiday themed sweater in the mix.

Men...where are you? Statistically, I know we are in the minority in our field. And so far, that statistic is about right....5 ladies to 1 gent....so far out of 30 submissions, only 6 guys. Pretty good for one day.

Here's what you can plan on & here is what I'll need:

1. A photograph (or a few!) & permission to use it.
2. Contact information (e-mail address, a we blink where I can contact them)
3. Plan on writing a brief bio. Nothing too personal, I know people get freaked the hell out about personal information.
4. Willingness to be included in the 100 Most Beautiful Librarians "issue" to be created by the WDL.
5. Submissions can be sent to wdlibrarian at Gmail dot com

I've had tons of questions. Don't over analyze it folks, this is a light hearted attempt to stir up the library community.


To qualify:
1. Do you have an MLIS or are you working on one? You'll be considered!
2. Have a super cool librarian job like me? You'll qualify!
3. You don't need to be young! Helen Mirren and Diane Keaton and Daniel Craig and Ian McKlellen would all make this list if they were librarians.
4. This isn't a movers or shakers issue....but if like to move and shake - submit!

Who are the judges? Simple. ME. Don't pre-judge me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Let me decide, don't do it for me. SUBMIT!

Already, I am getting flack from the library community:
"Our jobs aren't about being beautiful..."
"We are not models, we are librarians."
"This is superficial"
"This is not a measure of our worth."
"This is stupid...."
"This is worse the NY Times Hipper Crowd of Shushers article"...

So, why would I do this? Because I can. Because we are not just librarians, we are people too. As I sit here sipping my black coffee, I am impressed by the great response so far, and it's only been one day.

To all of those people who think this is a disgusting exercise in vanity: suck it. And I mean that in the most endearing, non aggressive way. But nonetheless, suck it.

Moral of this blog: wdlibrarian at Gmail dot com is waiting for your nomination!

No comments: