Friday, July 04, 2008

Day, Independence

Hot dogs, hamburgers, lemonade.

Not for me, not this year. This is more like "Independent Day" for me. It is amazing to me how much my life has changed since this time last year. I can't even believe that about a year ago, I was getting ready to attend the Gaming in Libraries conference here in Chicago. I had little to no knowledge that I would be single very soon....let alone be LIVING in this great city.

In reality, I was single by that point, I just didn't know it yet.

And a season passes. And another...and so on and so forth until I find myself sitting alone in my Pre War walk up, sitting on the davenport next to my aging kitty Sophie.

Lots of good things have happened. Cool job, lots of new friends, closer yet to my older friends....dating....

And so, as I can't help myself from doing, wonder what exactly I should reflect on this Independence Day. Am I glad I'm an American? Sure. Lots of great perks...and even though it's expensive, gas is cheaper here than in London (where I wish I really lived). I'm braver than I've ever been. That's great too.

I'm setting up a brand new library from scratch for a major museum. That's amazing. I would have never dreamed that.

I used to want to be head of Catalogs for Sotheby's. I would still do it if they called me, but they won't.

I've gotten to that point where I realize that I'm in the income bracket I'll probably be in for the rest of my life, really know that I need to give up some bad habits, and try to do a few more push ups before bed...this chest is going to start sagging any day now, I just know it.

I'm also one of those people that gets pissed off that things close because of holidays...because I couldn't care less that it is a holiday.

Close the grocery store on December 25th? WHAT?? I need milk. I have the day off so I can catch up on chores! Like today.. everything is closing at 7. Oh well. Guess I'll wait until tomorrow to buy dusting polish.

Moral of this blog: Yes, that is a firecracker in my pocket.

No comments: