Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Journals, Academic

On occasion, I read something, and I am so moved by it that I have to share. You know, like when you are reading the New Yorker - and you see a comic that you JUST KNOW will delight a friend - and you scan it and send it to them. They respond that it was just the most perfect and funny cartoon they have ever seen. OK. Right now - capture that feeling of euphoria! Make a note of that good tingle.

And now, flip it over. Make it the exact reverse.

Now you know what I am feeling right now.

I was asked to read an article (which for now will remain nameless) from a reputable publication. To ice the cake it was written not by one, NOT two, but THREE authors! Mazeltov! You've been published! In an Academic Journal!

After reading the article (which had been photocopied - so everyone could read it before our staff meeting today)- I sought out the original publication. For one reason.

I had to check the date on the Journal. I was astounded to see that it was March of 2012.

And now, the details. This 12 page article dealt with using blogs as a teaching tool. To encourage discussion. To create an environment of like minded people outside of the walls of academia. Most references sited dated back to 2004.

I was embarrassed to have read this article. And I wonder why people are afraid of technology explosions in libraries? Perhaps its because people are still finding out about things that happened 10 years ago. I wonder what would happen if they found out about facebook? Or blogger? They might explode.

On a light note, I am happy that the luddites who authored this article were able to submit their story to the publisher.

A colleague played Devil's Advocate. And G-d bless her. She insists that this is directed at Educators who have already left the hallowed halls of academia. The problem is, according to a quick search - that this journal is on the shelves of some of our finest institutions. It is being consumed by tomorrows educators.

I was quick to point out that out of the 30 or so works cited - most of them are from the late 1990's or early 2000's. An article on technology? I'm embarrassed for the authors.

I'd like to propose a new type of Academic Journal, that is not peer reviewed, and has open enrollment like a community college in the Appalachians. It can even be hand written! Submissions can be sent via pigeon post.

Moral of this blog : The Internets are not new. Either are the blogs. Happy 1996!!